Thursday, February 27, 2014

Last week's eats

Last week we had a holiday on Monday and a couple of the meals I made had copious leftovers, so it was a pretty easy week as far as cooking was concerned.

Here's the run-down.

Tuesday
Meatballs subs
Salad

Meatball subs don't really require a recipe and they are the ultimate comfort food.  I buy the frozen italian meatballs at Trader Joes, the French rolls at TJ's, sliced provolone and then I either buy make my own marinara sauce.  This last time I made my own, but my favorite easy-fix is Newman's Own Sockerooni - that stuff is amazing.

Wednesday
Indian Red Lentils over basamati rice

Talk about quick and delicious ways to eat healthy.  This was fast, cheap, and filling (sounds like I'm describing a high-quality hooker...but I digress).

My only caution would be to cut the recipe in half unless you're feeding a family of ten.  We were eating left-overs for days.

Thursday
Asian Turkey Burgers
Steamed broccoli

I've been making this recipe for years, but it's adapted from this one.  I basically use whatever I have on hand - usually onions, water chestnuts, soy sauce and spicy red pepper paste.

The problem with turkey burgers is that they often turn out quite dry.  That's what makes this recipe so great.  They come out moist and flavorful every time.  I usually top with provolone and spicy deli mustard on a wheat bun.  Yum!

Sunday
Amish cinnamon bread

I always get the baking bug on Sunday afternoons, but I'm also usually wiped out on Sunday afternoons.  Enter the easiest baking projects known to man.  This one took approximately five minutes of prep time and made the house smell wonderful while it cooked.  I liked it so much that I made another loaf for a friend earlier this week.

Disclaimer: this is more like cake and less like bread...but if it helps you feel better about eating an extra slice, let's just continue to call it bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment