Friday, May 27, 2011

Sicily/Messina: Day 7


Messina (a port town on the island of Sicily) is home to the world's oldest astronomical clock.  At 12:00, the gilded figures come to life.  The rooster crows, the lions roar, and the saints rejoice in Christ's Resurrection.  We spent about half an hour milling through Italian teenagers and bedraggled tourists in the square in front of the church, and then watched the 10-minute show. 

Here is my Blake in front of the sculpted duomo doors. They reminded me a lot of the baptism doors at the duomo in Florence...or Rodin's Gates of Hell. 


By this time I figured that I may as well just eat whatever I wanted because eating tons of fruit and veggies was not helping me to get better any faster.  So.  We ate gelato for lunch . I had four scoops (I went back to the store twice) and developed a new passion for the flavor called Bacio.  Makes me salivate just thinking about it. 



We spent the rest of the afternoon slowly winding our way through the tiny, graffiti-covered streets up to the highest point of the city.  We both got a kick out of the fact that the most prominent feature in the landscape and/or cityscape was our cruise ship.  Look at that monster!

No comments:

Post a Comment