Monday, May 16, 2011

Paris: Day 2.

At 12:51 a.m. I woke up with that pannickly feeling.  I had a sore through, itcy eyes, a clogged nose, a headache.  No!  No, I will not get sick while I'm here in my favorite place with my favorite person.

I took a steaming hot shower.  I took sudafed (from my emergency suply kit that I put together thinking I'd never use it -- joke's on me.  I used every single thing I brought.  Bad karma.).  I used up our whole box of tissues blowing my nose.  I went back to sleep propped up in sitting position against the headboard. 

I did everything I could think of.  But to no avail. 

By 8:00 a.m. I was down for the count.  I could barely move, let alone carry out our plan of heading out into the city for a long day of sight-seeing.  I was so depressed that I could hardly think straight.  There I was.  In Paris.  In Paris with my Blake.  And I was sicker than I'd been in several years. 

I periodically shook my fist at the heavens (and at the memory of the woman coughing in front of me on the plane)...but again, to no avail.

At 1:00 p.m. I finally forced myself out of bed.  And as much as it hurt my I-know-this-city-so-well-that-I AM NOT- a-tourist pride, we took a bus tour around the city all afternoon so we could at least see it.  So we sat in the open air looking at my city go by while I cried uncontrollably on the inside (real crying is not condusive to a sinus infection). 

Blake was such a good sport the whole time.  I was too tired to get out most places, and so he stayed with me on the bus. 

Luckily, the sinus gods did give me some brief relief now and again. And with the help of many drugs, we were mostly able to see what we wanted to see.

Again, please don't judge me in the photos.  Whereas Blake looks as delightful as always, I look sick as a dog.  Oh well.  Can't have everything, I suppose. 

We made a quick stop at Notre Dame while the sun was shining. 

Quick note: you see that purse on the left that looks unattended?  It's mine.  But don't worry, it wasn't unattended...Blake's parents were keeping an eye on it for photo-taking purposes.

I took exactly 7 photos during our whole trip, which is a bummer because Blake gave me a really cool point-and-shoot for Christmas.  I was just too tired to open up my bag, pull out the camera, and hold it up for any amount of time.  Add to that the drug-induced stupor I was in for most of the trip, and I would have almost no memory of most days.  Luckily Blake is much more talented that I am in the photography (and memory) department and he took scads of gorgeous photos on his new camera.  What would I do without him?

I especially love his below shot of the Eiffel Tower.  It's so unusual and I love the contrast of the red elevators with the grey/brown iron.

I was determined to take Blake out for a birthday-eve celebration.  I'd planned it all out in my mind: a fabulous french dinner with never-again-to-be-matched dessert, a walk on the banks of the Seine, and a night river boat ride. 

Alas, it was not to be.

We managed the fabulous french dinner part, but due to my "condition" were unable to continue the evening.  Poor Blake.  It's not every day that you turn 30 in Paris.  What a bummer when you have to deal with a sick wife.

Blake picked this lovely cafe on the Boulevard Richard Lenoir and we had an amazing salmon dinner with chocolate mousse and tarte citronne for dessert.  Yum.  I'm still salivating over that salmon.

Paris, I miss you already.  Can we come back and do it all over again now that I'm feeling better? 


  1. PS. My earlier comment was meant for this post... you probably got that.

  2. Curse that woman on the plane! So sorry you had to be sick in Paris. Did you have more days there, though?!

    P.S. I was totally eying your Longchamp in that you like having it in navy? I've been wanting one forever but I can't decide between black and navy. (Sorry, had to get that out.)