Thursday, June 3, 2010

Wherein Thursday becomes Friday

I want to write about our Memorial Day weekend at the lake (which was perfect, by the way), but I have other things on my mind at the moment. Other things like:

1. My Mom is coming into town today and my Dad is coming into town tomorrow (Hooray!). It will be the first time my Dad has seen our house, which has me fraught with anticipation...

2. I am taking tomorrow and Monday off to spend time with my parents (Also, Hooray!)

3. These darn summer thunder storms are throwing off my morning commute. Yesterday the elevators at my station were out because of the electricity, so the station was closed. Normally elevator outages do not shut down stations, but since my station happens to reside 21 stories (!!!) underground, it is only accessible via elevator, and is hence shut down when there are power outages.

Anyhow, to make this already long story a little shorter, I had to take a shuttle bus from the nearest stop to my stop. This was all well-and-good in theory, but not in actuality. None of the metro employees knew where the bus was and were unable/unwilling to help direct. I had to walk 4 blocks in the 90 degree heat to find the bus. I got on the bus alright, but the bus driver was not pleased with his extra riders.

He hadn't been told that his bus was acting as a shuttle. And he was mad. Really mad. Swearing and yelling at everyone mad.

He yelled at the passengers as they got on. He yelled at the metro employee for not having been told that he was a shuttle. He screamed at a lady who asked if he was the shuttle. Then he screamed at the metro employee that the lady had tried to spit on him. She defend that she had not. The tantrum went on for some time before I made it home. Sometimes I really hate public transportation.

4. I just discovered that my colleague at work has a stash of bubble wrap hidden under her desk. That explains why I can sometimes hear little crackles and pops coming from behind her closed office door during times when she seems particularly stressed.

5. I'm starting into my fourth summer in DC and am finding that I will never EVER get used to the humidity...no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment