Thursday, March 21, 2013

Write Right Now

There's something daunting sometimes about sitting down to face a blank page. 

I've always got something to say (probably in your minds too much to say), but getting it out of my mind, through my fingers and on to the page makes me mute.  There you go. There's a good idea to get me to shut up - give me a piece of paper and tell me to write it rather than say it.

I'm trying to get in touch with my creative side and combine it with my love for Young Adult literature to come up with the next Great American Children's Novel (ha.  Just saying that makes me laugh!) 

It's slow going.

I've taken to keeping a small notebook on my bedside table so that when I can't sleep at night or when I have a dream that wakes me up with an idea, I can write it down.  This makes for some barely legible, highly entertaining dribble to read the next morning. 

So, I've got ideas and a character in mind.  But no plot.  And therein lies my biggest problem. 

It's playing around in my mind, but until I actually come up with something useful to say, I'm pretty sure I need this journal in my life:

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks! In 8 years when I have a draft ready I'll make you read it :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I love this post! I too would read and buy your book. Also, we must be kindred writing spirits because I have the SAME problem with plot and sometimes when I lament not knowing what I'm doing with my life I tell my husband that my backup plan is to write the next Harry Potter, ha ha. For real though, I keep a notebook on my nightstand for "writing" but all it contains at the moment is lists of kooky people I want to write about and general topics/themes. I try to tell myself that every great novel plot sounds kind of dumb if you reduce it to one sentence...but it doesn't seem to help at all!

    If you ever want to start up a little online writing group or something...I would be so in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are way too nice, Jane! And I am SO glad I'm not the only one with a notebook full of weird scribbles next to my bed.

      I'd definitely be interesting in setting up an online writing group. Not quite sure how to start, but I'm in!

      Delete