Friday, February 3, 2012

A warning to residents of the D.M.V

To all you folks living in the (202)/(703)/(301), here's a word to the wise.  Don't ever use the following companies:

MER Waterproofing.  We waited half a Saturday for them to show up to give us an estimate.  They never came or called.  When I called to report the issue on the following Monday they said they'd figure it out and give me a call back.  They never did.  Infuriating.

Mr. Tire.   I'm sure you all distinctly remember my recent whiny post about spending 4.5 hours in a crummy Mr. Tire shop while Blake argued with an extremely dishonest and rude manager.  We ended up paying them what they asked, but it was a rip-off.  It's not surprising that a company can talk you into things when they've got your car 10 feet off the ground and refuse to bring it down to you unless you pay their fees. 

Deep Breath Air Duct Cleaning.
WHAT A JOKE.  Blake and I bought a Groupon for this company about two weeks ago.  I set up the appointment for the past Wednesday from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. 

Having not received a phone call from Deep Breath to confirm the day before, I called them on Wednesday morning.  I did not receive a call back until 12:00 noon from a technician that was at my house.  He claimed that my appointment was from 12:00 - 4:00 rather than from 3:00 - 5:00 as had previously been confirmed. 

After some arguing and a few calls to the main office I found out that they had switched my appointment without telling me.  They claimed to have left a message on my phone, but I never received a message or any proof that they had even called. 

I arranged with the technician to be home by 2:30 and he confirmed that he'd have someone at my house at 3:00.  I raced out of work even earlier than I'd planned and made it home by 2:15.

Well, 3:00 came and went.  3:45 came and went.  I called the technician several times.  No answer. By this time I'm extremely frustrated. I called the office.  They confirmed that they'd have the technician call me.  20 minutes later- still no call.  So I placed another call to the office.  I called the technician again.  He answered and I asked why they had not yet come and tried to confirm that they'd be coming before 5:00 p.m.

Here's a little of our conversation:

Hi, I'm just calling to confirm that you'll be coming before 5:00.

No, no one is coming to your house today.

Um, sir, you confirmed for me earlier today that you'd for sure be here by 3:00.

No.  I never said that.

Yes, you did.  And I took time off work today to have this done.  I came home at 2:30 because you confirmed I needed to be there by that time if possible.

NO YOU DID NOT COME HOME FROM WORK! YOU ARE NOT HOME!  YOU ARE NOT HOME BECAUSE I CONFIRMED THAT WE ARE NOT COMING TODAY!!!

Sir, that is not what you confirmed for me earlier.

Click.  Yep.  He hung up on me.

So, for the 15th time that day I called the office and explained the situation.  They were apologetic, but refused to do anything for me on that day.  I set up an appointment for this weekend, which was the earliest they could slot me in.  I also had them confirm that they would not be sending that hostile technician to my house.

This morning comes and I call to confirm that we have an appointment this weekend.  Turns out there's no record of us having any appointment this weekend and they're all booked for the next three weeks!  They also refused to do anything for me for my trouble.
So it's obvious to me that this company is neither professional nor honest.  I'm working with Groupon to get a refund, and I'm very much hoping that other people in search of duct cleaning come upon this review and decide never to use Deep Breath Air Duct Cleaning.  Don't use them.  I can't emphasize that enough. 

(Sigh) It's been a really long couple of weeks.  And maybe I've lost a little bit of my faith in humanity...or at least in Corporate America.  There's a moderate to high chance that the Better Business Bureau will shortly be receiving a call from me with a long list of grievances.

P.S.  D.M.V. = District Maryland Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment