Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Voir Dire

It's going to be a long week.

You know how I know that?  Because it's Tuesday and it's already been a long week. 

But at least I have an interesting professorial interaction to look forward to tonight.  Last year this professor initiated the following conversation with me (in front of his students as they were settling in to their desks at the beginning of class):

-Oh, hi Rachel, your last name changed.  Did you get married?

-Yes, I got married in February.

-Well, congratulations.  Now, I'm not saying your husband isn't a great guy, or that he isn't THE guy, but I do hope you got a pre-nup.

-No, actually we didn't. (What?!)

-Well, are you planning to have kids soon? I at least hope you're waiting to have kids.  Kids can cause a lot of stress on a marriage.

-I've heard that.  Kids are definitely a handful. (No, seriously, what am I supposed to say to this?) Well, it was good to see you again, Professor, good luck with your class this week.

I left the classroom and had a good laugh on the way back to my office.  It makes me wonder which of his marital problems he'll unwittingly reveal to me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment