Friday, August 27, 2010

What Not to Wear

A middle-aged woman sits down kitty-corner to me (so our knees were almost touching) on the metro this morning.

Midway through a page of When You are Engulfed in Flames (my Sedaris favorite) I hear a loud, nasally "excuse me!  excuse me!" 

It's the knee-toucher. So I look up.

"Excuse me!"  "yes"  "Where did you get your shirt?"   "Uh, Banana Republic, I think."  "Is it a cowl neck" "Yes (reaching down to pull out neckline as a visual aid)"  "No, I mean, is it a COWL neck (looking at me like I'm the biggest idiot in commuting history)"  "yes, I think it is."  "Yes, well, shirts like that used to be in style once."

"Union Station, doors opening on the left"

Thank goodness.  Thank you, metro gods.  I escaped.  But not without many sympathetic looks from all females within a five foot radius.

2 comments:

  1. Todd and I have laughed over this one multiple times in the past 2 days. Hilarious. Who is this lady? I mean, who does she THINK she is? Especially questioning you--an intelligent AND fashionable lady. Come on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch.

    Meanwhile, When You Are Engulfed in Flames is my favorite Sedaris too! His chapters about Japan are spot on (I spent some time there) and make me laugh to tears.

    ReplyDelete