Thursday, June 19, 2014

A list

This week has been a scorcher.  We had a wonderful long spring, but it's fairly obvious that summer is here to stay.

I've been trying to stay cool by keeping myself busy inside, or taking cold showers after being outside.  So here's a list of what I've been up to.  Yes, it's a list sort of a day.

1.  On Monday I could tell that I needed a good therapeutic cry, so after I finished all my Monday cleaning I took myself to a matinee screening of The Fault in Our Stars.  I was one of three people in the theater and we all ugly-cried and sniffled our way through it.  It wasn't quite as beautiful as the book, but I do think they did a lovely job.

There's nothing quite like showing up at a movie theater at 11:00 a.m. on a Monday with a coupon in hand and still paying $8.50 for your movie.  $8.50!  I mean, I know I'm old, but I remember when full-price movies were $6.50 and I thought that was a total rip-off even then!  Crikey! I really am ancient.

2.  Except not ancient, as illustrated by the next happening.

Tuesday afternoon I was out watering my garden (we planted a garden and some blueberry bushes this year!) in the sweaty, blistering heat, when two teenaged girls walked up.  I was holding a gushing hose in my hands and one said to me "so, you must like gardening, huh?"  I sort of wanted to punch her in the face.  Yes...I totally enjoy being bug-bitten and having sweat drip down the side of my face and into my ears.  It's totally enjoyable.

Strike one.

Strike two was "are you parents home?"

"Um no"

"Do you know when they'll be home."

"No, I don't actually, because they don't live here.  I own this house."

"Oh, well can we see your electricity bill?  We're here from the power company."

It then took me almost ten minutes to get them away from me (all while I'm holding a hose, of course).  They wouldn't take no for an answer, but also wouldn't direct me to a website or leave me a flyer.  Methinks this smacks of scam.  I hate that stuff.  Stop bothering me while I'm obviously busy, people! Maybe I should have turned the hose on them.  They actually probably would have been more pleased than annoyed - it was that hot.

3.  I went swimming at Blake's parents' house yesterday and Bear is finally getting comfortable on the first step.  He was hot enough that he seemed interested in doing more swimming.  He'd come to the edge of the step and put his billowing paws out in the void - like a test swim.  So, I put his harness on (we call it is "suit") and held him up while he paddled around.  I think it still scared him, but it's progress.

And that's just one of many reasons why I need to have a child: I'm giving my dog swimming lessons.




2 comments:

  1. You're a good pet owner. I'm pretty sure we just threw Ollie in a pool and watched him almost-drown until he paddled out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried that, but he got so scared that he wouldn't even come near the pool for a long time afterward. We're now trying to start over slowly so that he'll be used to the water when we take hime to the lake (hopefully) this summer :) So yes, pathetic dog swimming lessons. That's what I've fallen to...ha.

      Delete