Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The one in which I am cancer-free

Oh gosh. Where to start?

I've been avoiding my blog lately.  Avoiding it like a high school nerd avoids a bully in the hallway - glancing at it out of the corner of my eye and wondering if it'll just go away and stop taunting me.

It's been simultaneously a really rough month and a really good month.  I'm way past hating the doctor's office.  I had several of the worst weeks of my life followed by one of the best days of my life. That best day was the day I found out that I officially don't have cancer.  There you have it.

No cancer. I'm 27 years old and I don't have cancer.  What a relief, right?  I can face anything in comparison to that!

Science is on my bad list right now. Science knows enough to tell you something is wrong.  Not enough to tell you what, exactly, is wrong. And certainly not enough to tell you how to fix it.  Just that something is wrong.  (Yes, you're now collectively shuddering at my lack of correct grammar.)

I am writing, not to garner sympathy, but to share how good life is.  Blake is a saint, family is so necessary and wonderful, friends are so generous, and Bear is perfectly snuggly.  I feel like I am experiencing miracles in the truest sense and I couldn't be more grateful.


10 comments:

  1. You look beautiful, Rach. And so happy to hear your good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too nice, Kristin! I'm convinced that Bear can make anyone look great :)

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry you had to deal with the thought of cancer, that is so horrible. So glad for the good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsey! It really is such a relief. It wasn't something I'd ever thought I'd hear from my doctor, so I really feel like I've won the lottery!

      Delete
  3. Rach-

    I had a very similar scare a few months ago. It made me appreciate my life and family so much more, and made me realize how vain I am. The thought of losing my hair was much more devastating than it should have been.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenny, we should talk soon! It really is making me appreciate my life so much more. The pain and stress through the tests was almost unbearable, and it's just such a relief to know that it's not going to change the course of my life! I'm glad you're ok, too!!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Rachel, I don't even know what to say but those weeks must have been agonizing and I'm so glad that you have good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia! It feels good to know it's not cancer even if I still don't know what's wrong.

      Delete
  5. Rachel, while I'm so so so so glad and relieved everything is okay, I feel terrible that I didn't know this was going on! Sending you lots of love, (and you look gorgeous in that picture!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too nice, Whitney. We miss you guys 'round here!

      Delete