Thursday, December 1, 2011

What are the odds in a city this big?

Blake was sick yesterday.  And when Blake is sick I ride the metro in to work alone.  And when I ride in alone I often end up sitting next to some weird and/or less-than-desirable folks.

At the station after mine someone with a vaguely familiar voice got on.  There were several open seats around me, but she came to sit by me on the inside seat near the window.  I had several bags near my feet (yes, I've become a bag lady.  I just always have so much to carry to work...) so I scootched sideways to let her pass by. 

She was carrying only one bag, but looked disapprovingly down at me and directed "you'll need to get up..can't you see I have all this stuff?" 

It was then that I realized exactly who I was dealing with: my fashion foe of yore.  I knew I recognized that voice!

So, somewhat out of spite, but mostly out of my inability to gather my bags and get up quickly enough, I just scootched a little more and she huffily sat down beside me.  Miffed though she was, it didn't stop her from immediately starting an inane conversation about the weather and fires on the metro. 

I answered quickly and just as quickly went back to reading.  There's no way I was going to let her criticize today's three-year-old Banana Republic Sweater.  I'm not sure if it's as out-of-style as my cowl neck sweater, but I'm not taking any chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment