Friday, October 5, 2012

French Lavender Soap

My Arabic conversation instructor in college was a Swedish-born Egyptian with sparkling eyes, cutting wit, and a grand flare for artistry.

One day as she was helping me struggle through dual conjugations and the musdaar, she told me that she almost always assigned a specific item to each person she came in contact with.  Something tangible that describes the feeling or jist of the person. 

I think I tend to do the same thing, but it less defined terms.  There are definitely certain sounds, sights, tastes, smells that remind me of certain people, but I'm not sure if I'm consciously assigning that to them or if it's more of an organic process.

I was intrigued and asked her what she'd mentally assigned to me.  She considered for a moment, then declared: French Lavender Soap.

This, coming from her, was quite flattering to me.  She was beautiful, international, sparkling and outgoing.  I was dorky, gangly and arabicly tongue-tied.  And yet she thought of me as pleasant (though, come to think of it...who knows...). 

For some reason I've been thinking back to this lately and wondering if she'd still place me the same way.  Am I still peaceful French lavender soap?  Or am I now more of a sassy half-full jar of Nutella?

3 comments:

  1. Love this. I always enjoy reading your blog, you have such a great way of putting things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think french lavender soap accurately describes you. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete