Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The first few days as seen on instagram

We haven't sat down to upload our pictures from Blake's camera yet, but here are my instragram photos from the first part of last week.

 Dutch stairs are always an adventure.  We both made it the whole week without tripping down.  (Two hands at all times is the secret.)




 We spent a windy/rainy day in Haarlem and enjoyed walking around the flower markets and seeing the preparations for Queen's Day in the square.

 Blake teases me about my love of tiny cars.  But, what can I say, I know a good parallel parking opportunity when I see one.



 Blake used his new camera lens to capture the tulip fields outside of Heemstede.

We spent Sunday morning walking around Den Haag (the Hague).  I love the juxtaposition of the ancient Parliament buildings against the modern architecture in the background.  Such a cool city.
 I had no idea that Amsterdam is so close to the beach or that the beaches of the North Sea are sandy and gorgeous.  We got lucky with a 65 degree evening and had dinner at a restaurant on the beach.
 Jet lag does not help me out much in the photogenic department, but the beach is gorgeous, so focus on that.
 Queen's Day brought the best weather of the trip.  70 degrees and clear.  The tulips were at their peak and I was in flower heaven. 
 Tulips have always been my favorite flower and it was dreamy to see field after field of them along the roads.
 You can't have a trip to The Netherlands without indulging in the local delicacies: pancakes.  Mine had brie, bacon, chives and pine nuts.  Delicious.





Blake's brother, Kirk, and his wife, Ali, live in a small town outside of Amsterdam called Heemstede.  It was gorgeous.  Huge trees lining quaint canals.  We enjoyed seeing sail boats go down the street from the view out our bedroom window.

7 comments:

  1. Ahh, Rachel, you're making me so excited!! And also adding things to my Europe bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like an amazing trip, I'm so very jealous right now! And I'm not sure what you are talking about not being photogenic because you look like the perfect model set in front of a beautiful European background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristin: you will love it! Can't wait for you to go! I will be extremely jealous while you're gone :)
    @Julia: You are way too kind. Friends like you are what make the world go round :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never know how to eat Brie. Did they leave the rind on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Meg: yes, they did leave the rind on. I always eat the rind...especially when the cheese is warmer. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have loved all of your pictures!! Looks like such a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @WhitneyClarke: Thanks so much! We had a grand time!

    We miss you 'round here! Can I convince you and Rob and Lyla to come visit us soon?

    ReplyDelete