Thursday, September 17, 2009

Le Singe est sur la Branche

No, really. You try saying that 10 times fast.

I was just thinking about one of my favorite books that I've read recently: David Sedaris' "When You Are Engulfed in Flames," and remembering the particularly delicious French tongue twisters he talks about. Makes me wonder if my French is holding up.

I think it's doing alright because I still occasionally dream in French.

Then again, I also occasionally dream in Arabic...which makes my speech in the dreams very slow and belabored and a little something like this:

(somewhere long ago, at a hospital far far away in the middle east)

"Ahlahn, yah ...(thinking, thinking, not getting anything restful out of my sleep)...doctor(?)... ana, ana andee al (hmmm?) very hurt stomach! M'aidez maintenant!"
.....

"Shukraan yah ustazz...shukraan"

No wonder I sometimes wake up more tired than I went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment