Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Everything's better in Fun Size

As far as holidays go, I think Halloween is pretty useless.

There are, however, a few perks:

Fun sized candy. I think Milky Ways and Reeses are even better when they're small. Maybe it's just because things also taste better when they're in the shape of a pumpkin, or maybe it's because I can justify having 3 or 4 at once. Maybe it's a question as old as how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The world may never know.

Sales on candy starting the day after Halloween (can you see a trend developing here). $1.88 for a gigantic bag of mixed FUN-SIZED candy? I'll take 5.

Dinner parties and pumpkin carving with friends. Destiny had a dinner party at her house where she made dinner in a pumpkin. Literally, in a pumpkin. It was delicious. She and Tom also worked on their costumes. They made the most amazing Spartan cheerleader uniforms I've ever seen. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a long time.

Nightmare on M Street. Even though Halloween isn't generally a holiday that I enjoy, DC does it right. I live in a prime location to be able to walk over to Georgetown on Halloween and not get stuck in traffic.

This year I made reservations a month in advance. A group of 10 of us had dinner at Clydes and then walked around through the mayhem. This year I think that (overwhelmingly) the most popular costumes were the Joker for men and Sarah Palin for women. Not going to lie, not all Sarah Palins are created equally...




Don't spread it around too much, but I think I may be warming up to Halloween. It still doesn't compare to Thanksgiving, Christmas or the 4th of July...but I'm slowly being convinced that it deserves to be called a holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment