Thursday, June 18, 2009

Friends in high places

On Sunday we gave a woman a ride to church. We had never met her before, so Blake tried to make small talk.

"So, where are you from?"

"Akron, Ohio, originally."

"Oh, that's cool. I have friends from Akron, actually, and they say it's really great."

(Me thinking: "hmm, I wonder what friends he's talking about." At which point, I almost piped up and asked "who?", but thought better of it: "Oh well, they're obviously not too close of friends if I haven't heard about them before." )

.....

That evening as we were getting ready for bed, Blake brought it up: "You know what, when I said I had friends in Akron, I was thinking of Lebron James. I actually don't have friends in Akron. I was just trying hard to come up with who I knew from Akron and the only person I thought of was Lebron James. I wanted to make her feel comfortable. I was so glad that you didn't ask who I was talking about....but did you see how much her face lit up when I said I knew someone from Akron?!"

I'm glad I hadn't brought it up.

I didn't know Blake and Lebron were so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment